Author Topic: Paging to SIP horn?  (Read 2077 times)

Offline fcoffey

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Paging to SIP horn?
« on: October 27, 2017, 04:38:29 PM »
Hi all,

Been lurking here for awhile, just registered to post this question.  I have been working with the Mitel MiVoice Office 250 since it was called the Eclipse^2 system, as an end-user (customer).  Currently have a three node 250 system and at one of the sites have the page port connected to a Valcom horn setup.  It works well.

Through no fault of anyone, there was a need to expand the paging to an outbuilding that had fiber (and a switch of course) but no "paging wire".   Purchased an Algo 8186 SIP Horn, hung, configured, got the license for it, called it, haunted the folks in the warehouse, cool.   I emailed my vendor for a compatibility check, and did not get an immediate response.  Since I had successfully configured an Algo strobe at another site, I figured the horn would work as well.  Turns out I should have waited for my vendor to respond.  Bully on me. :(

I am not able to figure out how to make the system "page" not only the Valcom horns but the Algo horn as well.  Trying Phantom trickery (set up a Phantom, make it forward immediately to the horn extension, and put that Phantom in the page zone) doesn't work either.  I consulted my vendor who has a small lab setup and they couldn't figure out anything either.   So, I'm coming to the collective wisdom of the group.

Please be easy on me. :)

Thanks,

Fred

Offline BlackSunshine

• View Profile
Re: Paging to SIP horn?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 10:03:39 PM »
When I need an easy page for a remote location I just take an old Mitel ip set ....take screws off the back of the phone...take a piece of jumper wire ...strip it...super glue jumper to the speaker terminals...run the jumper out the back put the screws in...run the jumper to red/green of valcom Horn...set phone in a page group....also works for night ringing too...only catch you can’t do hands free on that phone...but if you use the phone just for page hands free is no big deal... as far as the SIP device for paging all they are is phone that auto answer in hands free mode to a auto port

Offline fcoffey

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 10:22:32 AM »
.but if you use the phone just for page hands free is no big deal... as far as the SIP device for paging all they are is phone that auto answer in hands free mode to a auto port

Yeah, I know I could butcher a phone, and I actually do have spare licenses at this facility.   However, I'd really, really like to get the SIP horn to work.

I'm going to keep digging.  I wouldn't be opposed to setting up a Raspberry PI with Asterisk to make it work (make the Pi a SIP extension, a user dials it, it records the page, then turns around and dials into the Mitel page zone AND the Algo horn at the same time and plays back the page).  It would be a bit of work, but I think I could make it work.

It would be much easier if I could find a solution to keep it on the Mitel.  :)

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 10:42:53 AM »
fcoffey,

Who told you that a SIP device would work within a Page Zone? What you would need is a SIP device that takes a Loop Start Trunk Port and then converts it to SIP to be paged out. We use the Valcom IP Paging set of devices for these type of solutions.

I don't know anything about Algo, but they may have something similar that would work with your current device.

Sorry,

TE

Offline fcoffey

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 02:33:34 PM »
Who told you that a SIP device would work within a Page Zone? What you would need is a SIP device that takes a Loop Start Trunk Port and then converts it to SIP to be paged out. We use the Valcom IP Paging set of devices for these type of solutions.

Hi TE

No one did.   It's 100% my fault for purchasing the device before I knew it would work.    I went with a SIP horn due to ease of running wire and due to the fact that the warehouse is 600+ feet from the Mitel (fiber between the buildings ...)

I ended up purchasing a Raspberry Pi, put Asterisk on it.

I made the Pi the SIP extension (using the Mitel's Cat F license).  I could then dial the Pi from the Mitel.

I set up the Algo horn as a SIP extension on the _Asterisk_.   I tested that I could make the Asterisk system dial the Horn and page.

I set up an IVR on the Pi that would prompt you to record your page, then hang up.   The Pi then turns around and dials the page zone on the Mitel (which goes out the Mitel's page port) AND the Algo horn at the same time and plays back the page.

A little unorthodox, but it works. :)

Lesson learned is to wait for my Mitel vendor's response before I purchase an item.   Yes, yes I know I deserve a hand-slap.  :)

Fred

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 03:05:44 PM »
ffcoffey,

No, No it isn't anyone's fault, and you ended up with a better solution than you probably would have received from your vendor; so all is good.

Thanks,

TE

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10