Author Topic: MiVoice Office 250 - Vmail to email w Office 365 - SMTP Authenticated or Not?  (Read 5328 times)

Offline CPAmechanic

• View Profile
Hello-

Let me preface this post just to say that for much of the past week I have been reading and re-reading numerous posts from this site in order to help track down a solution to my issue.  So far I have not been able to find a definitive answer, so hence this post.

With the help of an outside consulting firm, our office recently deployed a MiVoice Office 250 system (currently with v6.2 SP2 installed).  The outside consultant is insisting that in order to utilize the vmail-to-email capability, we absolutely must enter a valid Email Username and Gateway PW in the Email Gateway setup in order to authenticate.

A few years back, we had a similar go-round with our copy machine provider who similarly insisted that in order to utilize the scan-to-email function on the copier, we must have valid email account credentials entered in the MFP config.  Well, as it turns out, we were able to setup a connector in our Office 365 account which relays the emails sent from the MFP nicely without any authentication at all.

My question is....Is anyone currently using a MiVoice 250 system w/ v6.2 SP2 successfully with vmail-to-email with Office 365 and NOT using authentication?  If yes, please advise as to what specific field entries are necessary in the Email Gateway config, and also whether a system reboot is required to effectuate the changes (I only ask about the reboot, because again the consultant indicates it is not needed after changing the field values).

Some posts on this board seem to indicate it is possible, while other posts indicate a Username/PW is required.  I am not intimately familiar with this system so I am not clear what is actually possible.  While our phone consultants have been helpful in getting the system implemented, I have learned from our past experience with the MFP not to simply "take their word for it".

I have attached an image of our Email Gateway setup screen.  So far we have tried the setup (1) leaving the both the Email Username and Gateway PW fields blank, and (2) entering an Email Username only with no PW....and in either of these instances the vmail-to-email would not function.

Just to confirm....the vmail-to-email function does work successfully if we enter valid credentials for a Gmail account or an email account from our ISP (and appropriate smtp server addresses for either of these 2 accounts respectively).  However our preference would be to setup without authentication if possible.

Based on the previous posts I have read on this board, I certainly appreciate your collective expertise.  Thanks in advance for any input on my issue.

CPAmechanic

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
When using Office 365 you MUST use a username and password... and use encryption (port 587 or 465), it will fail in all other scenarios. We highly recommend having an email account strictly for the phone system, like mitel-vm@companyXYZ.com or something like that.

If you have an in house Exchange or other email server, or a are using ISP email account that does not require authentication, the Mitel can handle that quite easily.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
acejavelin,

When connecting to O365 it is not necessary to use encryption, but it is recommended for security purposes. The URI they are using is the correct one for anonymous port 25 connection.

CPAmechanic,

If you don't put a username in then it will use the Administrator e-mail address and if that doesn't exist it will create one using the hostname and domain so it is best to just put one in even if it isn't a valid e-mail address. We always use voicemail@domain.suffix for our sites.

Thanks,

TE

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
acejavelin,

When connecting to O365 it is not necessary to use encryption, but it is recommended for security purposes. The URI they are using is the correct one for anonymous port 25 connection.

CPAmechanic,

If you don't put a username in then it will use the Administrator e-mail address and if that doesn't exist it will create one using the hostname and domain so it is best to just put one in even if it isn't a valid e-mail address. We always use voicemail@domain.suffix for our sites.

Thanks,

TE
Hmm... I thought Office 365 ended support for unencrypted email earlier this year, part of the reason ESI started offering it's partners free email relay service for ESI phone systems. Will have to see if I can find that reference.

EDIT: Actually, it was more specific to unified communications and voicemail to email:

Update:
SUPPORT FOR MICROSOFT OFFICE 365... Microsoft® has announced that customers subscribing to Office 365 for email and unified messaging will no longer be able to connect their on premise or cloud PBX directly to their Exchange online account permanently eliminating unified messaging unless the entire solution moves to Skype for business under their calling plans. For those customers not ready or wanting to move their current phone system to Skype for Business, ESI will provide a seamless solution. <remaining info from ESI deleted>

I am attempting to verify this information with an official link, but Google isn't being nice to me... I will relay when I hear back from ESI rep.

EDIT2: I found this, but it is clear as mud to me... I am not sure exactly what it means and moving to the forum thread referenced at the bottom of the page makes it even less clear. https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2017/07/18/discontinuation-of-support-for-session-border-controllers-in-exchange-online-unified-messaging/
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 07:07:22 PM by acejavelin »

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Acejavelin,

That is a true statement and we have been telling our customers the same thing. The caveat is that using port 25 is not really considered UM since it is only Forward and Copy AND as far as I can tell the base MX record will remain to allow e-mails to be sent that way. Now they may require that the device to log in, but that wouldn't stop the 250 from being able to send that way. Of course MS could just put a limit on how many emails can be sent through that pipe as well.

thanks,

TE

Offline CPAmechanic

• View Profile
Acejavelin / TE -

Thank you both for the prompt response.  Your input is much appreciated.

Regards

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10