Author Topic: Adding a Cluster element - where is the doco?  (Read 1814 times)

Offline VinceWhirlwind

• View Profile
Adding a Cluster element - where is the doco?
« on: September 08, 2017, 05:47:51 PM »
I'm trying to give somebody the instructions to add a new controller to their existing cluster.
I've checked the Tech Handbook and the Engineering Guidelines. I know the GiG isn't worth checking and so I'm not sure where to find the doco for clustering procedures.
Any ideas?

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Adding a Cluster element - where is the doco?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 07:10:57 PM »
I would look at the help file under voice networking

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 07:38:52 PM »
Yeah, it's in the help... but if you have never done it, I suggest getting assistance from someone who has the first time you do it, or at least read the docs and make sure you understand everything VERY thoroughly. There are things you need to do on the correct controller at the right time, and if they are done incorrectly, it can potentially be service impacting, even catastrophic, to other cluster elements.

For example, if you start sharing from the wrong element, all of your new controllers "blank" data could get pushed to all other elements via SDS, leaving you with a cluster of featureless devices.

Oh, and backup the entire cluster first... just in case you have to perform a restore on every network element.

It can happen, trust me...

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 08:25:41 PM »
Yeah, it's in the help... but if you have never done it, I suggest getting assistance from someone who has the first time you do it, or at least read the docs and make sure you understand everything VERY thoroughly. There are things you need to do on the correct controller at the right time, and if they are done incorrectly, it can potentially be service impacting, even catastrophic, to other cluster elements.

For example, if you start sharing from the wrong element, all of your new controllers "blank" data could get pushed to all other elements via SDS, leaving you with a cluster of featureless devices.

Oh, and backup the entire cluster first... just in case you have to perform a restore on every network element.

It can happen, trust me...

Good advice and I really like the last line  :)

Offline VinceWhirlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 11:25:51 PM »
I don't have access to the Help file unless I log in (new laptop, need a new copy locally) so I just logged in and did it for him.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 09:09:50 AM »
I don't have access to the Help file unless I log in (new laptop, need a new copy locally) so I just logged in and did it for him.
Don't forget you can download the help to your laptop from eDocs and just open it locally...

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 04:46:41 AM »
"Mitel Voice Cluster Design and Implementation" is part of the documentation set
It looks like a good starting point.

http://edocs.mitel.com/TechDocs/Platforms/3300ICP/MiVB_8.0SP2/sysadmin/pdfs/mivoice_business_8.0_vcdi.pdf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10