Author Topic: Upgrade from 6.0 to 6.2  (Read 3699 times)

Offline moserc32

• View Profile
Upgrade from 6.0 to 6.2
« on: August 09, 2017, 03:24:23 PM »
I am in software assurance and need to know how to upgrade from 6.0 to 6.2 without purchasing a new flash card.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: Upgrade from 6.0 to 6.2
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 03:41:30 PM »
I am in software assurance and need to know how to upgrade from 6.0 to 6.2 without purchasing a new flash card.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Download the software, extract the ZIP to a flash drive, plug it into the front of the controller, then either use the menus on the front or web to the controller and perform the upgrade. Then download the new license key from Mitel AMC and apply it to your system.

You will be out of service for anywhere from 15-45 minutes, depending on system size.

Are you an end-user or a vendor? If an end-user, you need to contact your reseller and coordinate with them as you cannot access the software or license key on your own.

Offline jmarcwsp1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 06:38:14 PM »
Ace-

Do you recommend changing the flash drive when upgrading software revisions on the 250?  If is my understanding replacing the flash can make the upgrade easier.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 08:29:47 PM »
Ace-

Do you recommend changing the flash drive when upgrading software revisions on the 250?  If is my understanding replacing the flash can make the upgrade easier.
Hmm... News to me, in fact I have never heard of anyone voluntarily doing it that way unless there was a technical requirement to do so. I have done hundreds, probably thousands, of upgrades of the 5000/250 since late 2004/2005 (I worked for a company that beta tested a few with customers), very few with new compact flash cards. Typically I would only do so when it is required by the software for a larger code base.

Software upgrades are so easy on the 250, even if you have one with a finicky one USB port or a drive it doesn't like, you TFTP the software in a short time as well. I have had maybe a handful of system that have given me problems upgrading the traditional way in my 12+ years of working on them.

To be honest, I am not sure how it would be "easier"... you would have to boot the system on the compact flash, load the license, and restore the database, then the voice recordings. In general that would take significantly longer to do, especially on larger systems.

Offline jmarcwsp1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 06:14:40 PM »
Thanks for the insight ACE!!

Offline jmorgan121

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 09:07:20 PM »
FYI, be prepared to brick the processor. Some processors have an incompatible fpga array and Mitel can't tell you whether yours is compatible or not. The only solution they've provided me so far is to keep throwing processors at it until you find one that will take the upgrade to 6.2. I burned through 2 processors last time until the third finally took.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 09:17:29 PM »
FYI, be prepared to brick the processor. Some processors have an incompatible fpga array and Mitel can't tell you whether yours is compatible or not. The only solution they've provided me so far is to keep throwing processors at it until you find one that will take the upgrade to 6.2. I burned through 2 processors last time until the third finally took.
Hmm... really? I know we have done at least 50 of them and had only 2 failures, one of which could have been a bad CF card, the other was a freak accident where a tech loaded 6.2 on a CS chassis.

I haven't really seen many upgrade failures since 2.x to 3.x and 3.x to 4.0, since 4.0 came out upgrade related failures have dropped significantly, not that we had much of an issue with them to begin with.

Offline jmorgan121

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 09:29:00 PM »
Last Troubleshooting Note:
The issue is with the U52 Chip on the HPM. Engineering has written a ECO to test verify any new new cards or any repaired cards do not have the issue.

At this point, go ahead with your scheduled upgrades, and replace the HPM if you get an FPGA failure. There is no way to identify the possible bad cards in the field, as they need to be powered up with the latest software load to verify.

From this point forward, new tested cards will have the U52 Chip marked with a silver. or red colored dot after testing is verified and completed.

Above note entered at 3/28/2017 8:25:26 AM by XXXXXXXXX

Straight from Mitel. I learned the hard way! LOL
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 02:36:40 PM by v2win »

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 07:45:27 AM »
Last Troubleshooting Note:
The issue is with the U52 Chip on the HPM. Engineering has written a ECO to test verify any new new cards or any repaired cards do not have the issue.

At this point, go ahead with your scheduled upgrades, and replace the HPM if you get an FPGA failure. There is no way to identify the possible bad cards in the field, as they need to be powered up with the latest software load to verify.

From this point forward, new tested cards will have the U52 Chip marked with a silver. or red colored dot after testing is verified and completed.

Above note entered at 3/28/2017 8:25:26 AM by XXXXXXXX

Straight from Mitel. I learned the hard way! LOL
Huh... Don't think I have ever seen an FPGA failure, guess I am just lucky... Or it is extremely rare and you are just unlucky. :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 02:36:20 PM by v2win »

Offline moserc32

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 04:09:23 PM »
Just wanted to thank you myself Ace.  Jmarc works with me and he already replied since I have been out but I definitely wanted to thank you!

Offline mismaili

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 11:29:45 AM »
To whom it may concern:

Everyone, I also received the FPGA failure, when installing a new CF 6.1 SP1 into a HX controller. ,  I allowed it to continue rebooting, I pulled the power and tried again. Same result this time, after my third reboot I allowed it to "trying again Attempt #0 Thru Attempt #8 was the last I saw before leaving my desk for a minute, I returned and now the Display read "Failed to upgrade Replace mainbrd". I thought I had a bad PM board. Powered off system, removed PM board ch#10. Checked for U52 chip, as mentioned above. Reseated card, powered up sys and actually this time it came up online and now working fine.

Not sure how lucky I got but it worked !!!!

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 08:25:46 AM »
To whom it may concern:

Everyone, I also received the FPGA failure, when installing a new CF 6.1 SP1 into a HX controller. ,  I allowed it to continue rebooting, I pulled the power and tried again. Same result this time, after my third reboot I allowed it to "trying again Attempt #0 Thru Attempt #8 was the last I saw before leaving my desk for a minute, I returned and now the Display read "Failed to upgrade Replace mainbrd". I thought I had a bad PM board. Powered off system, removed PM board ch#10. Checked for U52 chip, as mentioned above. Reseated card, powered up sys and actually this time it came up online and now working fine.

Not sure how lucky I got but it worked !!!!
Perhaps it wasn't properly seated the first time?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline ramitel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2018, 05:15:35 AM »
I too have had this happen on an upgrade to a HX but luckily only once!

@mismaili
I had exactly the same symptoms as you describe but be warned although the system appears to be working if it is powered off the issue will return.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10